EDEM'S STORY



Part 1


I almost collapsed as my eldest sister glared at me. My hands were shaky and my knees buckled.

Beads of sweat gathered around my forehead and my heart could not stop racing.
'What did you just say? ' she asked sitting up from the bed.
'I am pregnant',i  repeated wiping my tear-stained face.
Aunt Margaret as we all fondly called her stood up from the bed and walked towards the window. She was a heavy set woman in her early forties and always wore a turban because of her spirituality.She slightly let the curtains loose for fresh air to pour in and turned to me.
'I don't  get it',she started. 'How are you suddenly pregnant barely three months of coming to live with me? Who is responsible?'
I was confused. Where will i start from? How do i tell my most senior sister that her very own husband was responsible for my pregnancy? Where was death when one needed it?

It all started about three months ago, when i moved to Lagos from Calabar. I had just written my W.A.E.C examinations having completed secondary school, when Aunt Margaret visited us and blew my parents mind with the good news.

' My husband and i have decided to pay Edem's university tuition fees and see her through school. If you are ok with it, she can get her stuff together and come to Lagos with me'
Mama almost jumped from where she was seated.  'God be praised!', she had repeated in our local dialect bursting into tears at the same time.
For over five years, my family had struggled through thick and thin to survive. As a cobbler, Papa made less than three hundred Naira daily  and could not afford to run the home or train any of us in school. Mama on the other hand sold bananas, oranges and paw-paw at the market and also roasted maize in the evenings garnished with coconuts. This could hardly feed us daily since my parents had six children to cater for.
Our church priest, Father Reuben supported two of my siblings and they were presently learning photography with a neighbour.

My journey to Lagos was wonderful as i had never been in an aeroplane prior to the time.

Aunt Margaret even gave me a cellular phone and bought me new set of clothes before the trip.
As we stepped into their huge compound, my brother in law Uncle Jacob, rushed to welcome us and gave me a bear hug. He was a huge man with a lively and playful attitude.
'Edem dear, welcome to our home', he said taking my travelling bag from me.
'Thank you sir,'i replied shyly. 'Are the kids around?',i asked stepping into the porch.
'Sure', he had stated
The house was a four bedroom (all en suite) apartment with a gigantic swimming pool. The lawns were lovely and well catered. Settling in was very easy and in a few days, i was already accustomed to my new environment.

Uncle Jacob made my life so easy as he constantly gave me cash to acquire anything i wanted. In just one month, i had learnt how to drive and run errands for the home.


My dilemma started one fateful day when my sister decided to travel for a church revival camp meeting. That same evening, i was in the kitchen cooking some rice and chicken, when my brother in-law grabbed me from behind. I was so alarmed that i screamed at the top of my voice, telling him to leave me, else i would cause some trouble.He laughed sheepishly and used his large palms to cover my mouth.

 'Don't shout please', he begged. ' Do you know how i have tried to control my feelings towards you? For so long, i have prayed that my wife should just disappear even for a single hour for me to hold you in my arms and tell you how beautiful you are.'
I couldn't believe my ears. For a split second,i thought i was dreaming. His hands were all over me and before i knew what was happening, he pushed me to the ground and raped me. This exercise continued daily until my sister returned. I had been so scared to talk to anyone since he had threatened so many times to send me back to my home town. 

WATCH OUT FOR PART 2


Comments

  1. Can't wait for Part 2 but i have alot to say to and about "Her"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Captivating. Looking forward to part two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment