EDEM'S STORY Part 2





He was an animal, and i despised him so much. Every time he hugged my sister, kissed her lovingly, ate her nicely cooked meals and played with the kids in the back yard, i always felt like stabbing him in the chest.


Aunty Margaret's monotonous voice brought me back to reality

'Edem, am still waiting for your response. Do you have a boy friend, are you seeing anyone?'
Half sobbing and blinded by my own tears, i collapsed like a heap on the rug.
Aunt Margaret rushed to my side and screamed for help. The house maid accompanied by the kids rushed into the room. Pandemonium broke loose.

I found myself in a hospital bed. A drip was strapped to the top of my right hand and i could see that it was half way gone. Aunty Margaret sat in an arm chair beside my bed gazing at the ceiling. She suddenly looked twice her age and i felt a pang of pity seep through me.

I closed my eyes immediately pretending to fall asleep, but it was too late. My sister had seen me blink. She moved quickly and stood beside my bed. She lovingly felt my head with the back of her palm, and held my hands
 'Do you need anything?', she asked.
I shook my head and tried to close my eyes again. Just then a nurse walked in.
'Nothing to worry about, the nurse put in. Sometimes, fainting spells come with the  early stage of pregnancy. She will be fine' 


As the driver drove us back home, my mind wandered to my next line of action. How do i survive this? What if i run away, or commit suicide? The more i observed my sister, the more i knew i would never be able to tell her the truth.


That evening, i was summoned by my brother in law into the Library. He had a boyish grin, even though he tried to look upset.

'What is this am hearing?,' he attacked.
 'You made me pregnant,'i retorted. 'You are a wicked man, you are evil'.
Uncle Jacob smiled and grabbed me by the shoulder.
'You better keep your trashy mouth shut! That's your word against mine and my wife will never side you over me.  How am i sure you don't even sleep with the security man when we are out? Look here, young lady, perhaps your mission here is to destroy my marriage and give your sister a heart attack but you won't succeed. She went out of her way to house and cloth you and this is how you repay her? '
 'Uncle that's really unfair' i cried, now holding my head with my left hand. 'U have been the one raping me since i got here. You keep forcing yourself on me and you can't lie".
He laughed so hard this time. 
          'Rape you say. How come you have been enjoying the so called rape?You can't lie on me you witch because no body will take you seriously. Not even your parents will believe you so be wise and listen to my plan.  You will tell your sister about your illicit affairs with the security man. How you have been meeting him at least once every week'

After saying this, he pushed me out of the way and went out of the room.


I stood as one in a trance, rooted to the ground. He is right, i thought. No one would believe me. I had to act fast. Nothing was going to stop me.

Without thinking,i rushed into my room and changed my clothing into a pair of jeans and chiffon top. It was better for me to die, than to lie against someone, especially a mere security man. I didn't take my cell phone or any other belonging apart from my wallet that contained a few hundreds of Naira.
Rushing out through the kitchen door, i soon found myself on the busy streets of Lagos.

WATCH OUT FOR PART 3.

Comments