EDEM'S STORY Part 3




''Idumota Eko'' The conductor in the yellow caravan popularly known as Danfo sang.

I rushed along with the crowd and managed to hop into the fast moving vehicle.

'Sister please shift small for me", a fellow passenger said in Pidgin English.

I moved a bit towards the end of the vehicle and closed my eyes. I had no idea of what i was doing or where i was heading.


I was tired, hungry and weak. It has been two long nights away from home. My feet hurt so badly and my stomach twinged with hunger. I had slept in a church premises barely four streets away from the house without drawing attention.


I alighted at the last bus stop and entered into the busy market. It was a lovely sight to behold. 

The traders displayed their beautiful wares at every corner of the street. The shops were filled to capacity with different fabrics, shoes,house hold wares and other appliances.
I almost forgot my predicament as i allowed my eyes to feed into the colours and quality of the wares.





'' Watch your step!' An old woman exclaimed.


It was too late. I bumped into her goods loaded on a crate that was pushed by a lad.  I fell like a heap on the floor. The entire goods found their way all over the road.


'Silly girl!', the woman was saying.'You caused this. You must pay."


I stood up with shaky feet and wobbly legs.


''I apologise grand ma. Am really sorry"


''Sorry will do no good now...You need to ensure my goods are packed properly and nothing gets missing".


I joined the lad and together we arranged the goods back into the crate.

The woman smiled and turned to go.
I watched her leave and suddenly had an idea. She seemed really nice despite our encounter. 
I ran as fast as my feet could carry me and tapped her gently before she could get into the waiting car.

''Am sorry to bother you grandma.... am looking for a job''


The old woman looked startled. ''Young woman, i don't have a company. All i have is a shop and i already have someone working for me. By the way, where are your parents? You look well catered and responsible. Why would you need a job?''


''It's a long story ma,'' i started. '' My parents are dead and i have no living relative" I lied.


''Get in,'' she motioned to me.


I rushed into the car and she followed suit.

It was a nice car. A Mercedes brand of Jeep. 

'' So, how have you been  surviving without your parents and where do you live?''


I scratched my head and burst into tears.


The old woman was stricken.She immediately gave me a napkin to wipe my tears and told the driver to take us to her residence.


''Wake up'', i heared her say from afar. I struggled to open my eyes. I must have drifted into sleep.

We were approaching a lovely mansion.  It was a detached terraced Duplex with a huge gate.

The gate was opened by a security man in uniform, and we moved into the building.


The story continues.....













Comments

Post a Comment