FAMILY TIES ; Sibling Rivalry Part 1 : Coping with bullying from older siblings.




Do you have to be so bossy?” I shouted back at my elder sister.


Her name is Ronke. We all call her aunty Ronke as the Yoruba custom forbade younger siblings to call their elders (Egbons) by name.

I am the last child of six children. The first; aunty Kemi had gotten married about two years back and was now based in Jos.
Aunty Ronke was next in line and had just finished her National youth service corps.

Taiwo, our only man in the family; since our dad had passed away several years ago was the third child. He was a footballer and was presently in Calabar. His twin, Kehinde was currently in her third year at the University of Ife, Osun state.

My immediate senior Tolani was fast asleep in bed. She had been trying to gain admission into the university for the past three years to no avail, and had just started a course in fashion designing. She barely knew how to stitch but our mama trusted that she would make a living eventually.

My name is Olabisi. I am fourteen years old. Today, I had just finished my daily chores of dish washing and sweeping, when aunty Ronke called me into her room. I had a nagging headache and wanted badly to lie down for a quick nap.
Our long holiday was slowly coming to an end and I was so eager to resume class. As I walked into her room, I couldn’t help but wish that she would drop dead immediately. I knew she wanted me to run an errand as usual.

“Where have you been?” she asked.

“Sweeping,” I replied.    

She brought out some Naira notes from her purse without looking at me.

“I need to load my phone and subscribe for my blackberry. Please buy me MTN recharge cards worth two thousand naira”

I reluctantly took the cash and walked out of the room to the nearest shop on our street.
As I returned with the airtime vouchers, she snatched them from my palm without a hint of gratitude.

“Wait!” she said as I turned to leave. “Go into the kitchen and fry me an egg”

“Do it yourself!” I shouted in return. “Do you have to be so bossy? Why are you so heartless?” I burst into tears and walked out of the room banging the door in her face.

Scenarios like this happen daily around us. How can we handle our older siblings without being rude or disrespectful? How do we make them understand our feelings as children and teenagers?

*  Be patient: Patience plays a vital role in every individual’s success. Keep on respecting them with the consolation that in no time, you will grow older too. They will eventually get married or move out of the house.

*  Don’t yell, hit or scream. If they get you worked up, look for a quiet place to sit and relax your nerves. Be calm and don’t cry,

*  Talk to your parents about the situation. Am sure that they will find a lasting solution to the way you relate with each other.

*  Talk to your older siblings. Let them know how you feel each time you are treated this way.

*  Pray for them.

Photo credit : Carolecgood.com













Comments

  1. Older siblings can be something else. Parents need to stop having a favourite child, and also stop taking their sides whenever their kids have any form of disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no go gree. Growing up I was a warlord. Don't cross me because I wont take shat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice write up. Older siblings who do this should realise that their younger siblings are first of all human beings before "servants".
    "Do unto others what you want them to do to you".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waoo, nice one, am waiting for part 2 oooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece,some elder siblings cud rilly be bossy but younger siblings have no justified reason to yel at or disrespect their elder ones .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice piece,some elder siblings cud rilly be bossy but younger siblings have no justified reason to yel at or disrespect their elder ones .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one... i just remember when my elder ones back then, will plan things between themselves and refused to get me involved, and that makes me seriously angry and report every little thing they do.... i was really dere enemy then, but all i wanted was that closeness and them not hiding everything and bullying me.... parents should make the elder ones know the younger ones are also part of their life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment